In 2021 Texas added seven unicorns based on a report by CultureMap – Austin. If you come to Texas do not look around to find the colorful magical creatures walking around. A unicorn is a startup valued at more than $1 billion. Innovation hubs in Austin, Houston, and Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitans continue to welcome new businesses and entrepreneurs. Out of the six unicorns, four are from Austin:
- Austin-based Iodine Software, valued at more than $1 billion as of December. The company’s artificial intelligence offering aims to help healthcare organizations improve their operations.
- Austin-based ZenBusiness, valued at $1.7 billion as of November. ZenBusiness provides an online platform designed to help entrepreneurs start, run, and grow their small businesses.
- Cedar Park-based Firefly Aerospace, valued at more than $1 billion as of May. The startup makes rockets and commercial spacecraft.
- Austin-based The Zebra, valued at more than $1 billion as of April. The Zebra runs an online marketplace that enables consumers to compare insurance quotes.
And two are from Houston:
- Solugen, valued at $1.5 billion as of September. The company uses corn syrup to produce chemicals.
- Axiom Space, valued at more than $1 billion as of February. The startup is developing the world’s first space station for commercial purposes.
Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex is the home only to one of 2021 unicorns. However, the Irving-based Caris Life Sciences is valued more than all other unicorns in Austin and Houston at $7.83 billion. Caris employs artificial intelligence to come up with targeted cancer treatments.